Friday, March 4, 2011

Computer class.





Hello everyone!
I am having a great time out here. I'm sure its purely due to all the
prayer support that has been sent my way. God has been with me, and I have not been too lonely. I
have not missed home (too) much, and have been able to keep my mind and energy focused out here.  I've also made some really good friends out here(some of whom just went back to the states).

I feel like God has confirmed that the medical field is right for me. I love working in the hospital here, and the need is very big. Many of the patients we see are quite a bit different than those you would see in the states. Tusk wounds from wild elephants living in the hills, machete accidents, and monkey bites are all common to see out here. Also because medical care is so poor in this area, and this is an openly Christian hospital, people wait much longer to come to the hospital for treatment then they would in the states. The tumors we remove in the OR here are on average about 5 times as large as you’d see in the states.
I have also decided that I really like anesthesia. As of right now, I feel like God wants me to become a CRNA(nurse anesthetist). CRNA schools are very competitive, so I will have to work hard, but I have no doubt that if this is what God wants then it will happen. It will be an extra 2-4 years of school, but I'll get a 1-3 year break just working in a hospital, and I've gotten a lot of reassurance from the Doctors here that it should not be too bad. So basically I am now planning on becoming a CRNA and eventually working overseas. (this obviously may not happen, but it's kind of
like what the traveling team says "plan on going overseas, and let God
keep you home if it's His will").

Computer classes for the national hospital employees have also been going very well. I have been teaching computer classes four times a week with about seven students in each class. The levels are Red, Yellow and Green. When I talked with Dr Welch at first, he said that some of the employees here didn’t know what a mouse was. I thought he was exaggerating, but I quickly learned with some of the red card students that this was an accurate statement. It has been funny to correct students on holding a mouse sideways. They are learning though, and when the hospital starts using computers in 3-4 years; most the employees should be ready.

Conversational English classes have been great also. The students are mostly pre-nursing students and are very motivated to learn.  who must be somewhat proficient in English

Please pray for:
-All the nationals I work with, and train in English and Computers, as the majority of them do not know the son.
-The believers here, that we can all be a great example of Christ.
-My friend Brock and his family. They do not know the Lord, and their mother recently passed away due to ovarian cancer(among other problem). I was with him in the female ward just a few hours before his mom died. What is wonderful is that she made a decision just a few days before she died. Pray that the rest of the family can follow her example in this matter. 

The view from where I stand by the anesthesia monitor.


No comments:

Post a Comment